Setting for DataDirectory

English speaking general discussion, ideas and suggestions, news, open source development
TheDrummer

Setting for DataDirectory

Message par TheDrummer » 09 Oct 2018, 11:54

Hello,

I want to change the directory where OpanBoard stores my data. I added in the file OpenBoardUser.config the line

Code : Tout sélectionner

DataDirectory=C:/Users/UserName/Documents/OpenBoard
in the App section, and the Directory exists. However, this Setting is ignored, if I run OpenBoard again, new documents are still stored in the default directory.

What is going wrong? I am using Windows 10 1803.

Michael

cristaldis

Re: Setting for DataDirectory

Message par cristaldis » 30 Oct 2018, 15:16

Hi,

Your syntax is right. I see you trying to edit the OpenBoardUser.config file. I suggest you modify in the same way the OpenBoard.config file instead.
It is located in : C:\Program files (x86)\OpenBoard\etc\

Regards,
Salvatore Cristaldi
openboard.ch

macjaeger

Message par macjaeger » 20 Jan 2019, 12:58

According to documentation this setting should work from both OpenBoard.config and OpenBoardUser.config - but it seems this isn't true, at least not on my systems (windows 10, 64 bit, openboard 1.5.1). Putting the settings into OpenBoardUser.config didn't have any effect; yet placing the same lines into OpenBoard.config works fine. This is no problem on my single-user machine (and using username wildcard might not be a problem an multi-user systems).

But i think it should either work as described in the documentation, or the documentation should be adjusted accordingly.

ramuntcho

Message par ramuntcho » 20 Jan 2019, 14:11

Hello,

This setting can't be in OpenBoardUser.config... since it indicates where this file is located. It must therefore be located in OpenBoard.config.
The documentation does not mention, unless I am mistaken, that this parameter can also be in OpenBoardUser.config.

niwi

Message par niwi » 22 Jan 2019, 14:14

For multi-user-machines (= most school pcs) it would be very useful if the working directory could be changed for all users to a path like /home/username/openboard in OpenBoard.config. Is this already possible? Maybe with a path like ~/openboard or /home/$user/openboard?

macjaeger

Message par macjaeger » 24 Jan 2019, 02:02

You're right, the documentation doesn't explicitely say that you can use DataDirectory in user settings. However, it doesn't explain that you can't use it there either. What got me confused is this part of documentation:
OpenBoard has default values for settings which aren't explicitly set in the configuration files. Specifically, when the application needs to know the value of a setting, it first looks for it in OpenBoardUser.config. If it can't find it there, it looks for it in OpenBoard.config.
Reading this, it seemed logical to me that the best place to define a users' data directory would be OpenBoardUser.config, especially because this setting is explained to contain "The folder where OpenBoard saves the user's documents and preferences.", i.e. a user-specific setting.

Répondre